• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to pay a debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

at975

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Recently I was contacted by a collector representing a credit card company I owe $1100+. At first we decided on $50/mth, but then he said that if I made 3 payments of $228.92 then I wouldn't owe anything else. I asked him if my payments could begin in September and he said they had to begin august . I told him just to do the $50/mth plan, because I didn't think I'd have $228 this month. He said that I could set up the three payment plan and if I din't have it just to call cack and they'd go back to the $50/mth plan. Well I didn't have it. The payments due 8/31 and I called today. I go the original rep but was transeferred to Mr. Langford. I tried very hard to make other arrangements with him, but everything I suggested ( e.g. start sept 12th, go back to the original plan as promised by the rep) was turned down. The he said that they'd just have to sue me I'd have to pay for all legal fees and they'd garnish my wages. He said he'd have to note that I wasn't willing to pay and told me to have agood day and hung up. all the while I was trying to tell him that I'd be more than happy to pay. but he hung up anyways. I realize I owe this bill. I really want to pay it. I plan on getting married in a few years and I would like to clean up my credit. True enough I haven't been paying as I should have been. but everyone makes mistakes. I would like to know if there's anyway I can just pay thisbill. I'd be more than happy to make arrangements. I don't want to go to court neither do I want my wages garnished. I just want to pay the bill. So is there anything I can do, because it doesn't look like the collection agency is going to work with me? I'm in no way trying to excuse my negligence or anything I just want to get rid of this bill.

BL

Have you learned anything by taking a reps. word over the phone ? Hope so !!

Now any further deals , agreements , etc., get them in writing.

Basically ( 1 ) rep. told you something that you could not bind them by.

Yes , now they can come after you , and now they have recorded that you're unwilling to pay as agreed ( the agreement of 3 mos. installments ).

I sympathize with you . Have they reported the debt to the Credit Reporting Agenc(ies) yet ?

I would write that dispute letter and state what you were told you could do , and the dts as closely as you can when you were told, you could revert back to $50.00 per month. ( if not for anything else just to note it ). send it Certified RR requested, and keep copies of all documents .

If you can afford a little more than 50 per mo. say 75 or 100, offer it too them , but if they accept , keep in mind if you don't pay, you'll be in the same boat.

If the debt ends up in CRAs , dispute it, then ask The CrAs for a copy of the Verification Form the send the Debtor.Check to see if everything is correct.If it's not correct , send proof the to the CRAs and request that this report be removed from your file.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">