• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

turbojock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turbojock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas- i filed a suit in small claims against someone and i forgot to appear on the date of the trial. i assume that the judge probably threw out the case? can i get the trial date extended after i missed the date that was originally set?

PJ Weber

If you failed to show the judge might very well have ruled against you. End of story

First . . . Find out what the disposition was

Second . . . Assume nothing

turbojock

i don't know if the judge ruled against me as i was the one that filed the suit. he may have dismissed the suit and ruled that i pay the court costs. i am wondering if i will be able to appeal and get a new court date? or if i am just out of luck and its over.

racer72

One of 2 things happened. The case was dismissed with prejudice. This means you are toast. Or the case was dismissed without prejudice. File your lawsuit again. You already paid the court costs when you filed your lawsuit, kiss that money goodbye.

Roo

Dismissed with prejudice means the court won't hear the case again.
Well, they actually never heard it the first time but you get the idea.
Dismissed w/o prejudice means you can refile.

Usually, a court in Texas will dismiss for failure to prosecute, which has the same effect as a dismissal without prejudice - you can refile.

However, if the other side showed up, the court may have dismissed with prejudice, or may even have entered judgment against you if asked to do so by the other side and the other side had a claim against you.

Just go to the court and ask to see the file. then you'll know and we can tell you what to do next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">