• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two name auto title in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohninFL

What is the name of your state? Florida

:) OK, I decided to help a girlfriend by purchasing an automobile, as she was in dire need of transportation. I have a written receipt from the seller, for the amount ($2300).

The title was in two names, separated by an "or" between them. My name first, then hers, after the "or". My assumption was, as I held the title, she could not sell the car, without my signature on this title. It was agreed that she would pay the money back to me. This was a verbal agreement.

:eek: After we had split up, I had spoken with her, and she said "the car is gone". Long story short, I contacted the state tag office in Florida, who advised me that she had the car retitled, and sold the car to another party.
I contacted this party to confirm it was indeed sold, and the amount involved.

:mad: It is my understanding that she was in the legal right to have the car retitled and sold, as the title did not show a lien holder. The names were separated by "or", not "and".

:confused: :confused: Where can I go with this? I have proof that I paid for the car, but I'm outta luck here. Do I have a leg to stand on in small claims? Any thoughts would be appreciated....

JETX

JohninFL said:
Where can I go with this?
No where.

I have proof that I paid for the car, but I'm outta luck here.
Yep. Outta' luck. Your proof only shows that you paid for the car.... not that there was any agreement for her to repay you.

Do I have a leg to stand on in small claims?
In my opinion, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">