• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ultimate Betrayal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaisumi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I'll explain this situation as best as I can, so there's no misassumption.

A few months back, I ran into an old friend/now acquaintance at my workplace, me being full-time, he on temporary. We talked, caught up, and everything was fine. He told me of what was going on with him, including his current health issue, that being of his gall bladder going bad and no money to go to the hospital, nor insurance. And out of niceness, there were numberous occasions on me loaning him money, which I will list later, with a promise of paying me back once he gets his FASFA.

After a while, he proceeded to tell me that his computer had a virus and he was going for online classes at a college, and feeling bad, I loaned him my chromebook, along with my PS2 that I had bought for myself late last December, as a present for myself for dealing with a lot and made him follow the rules that I had set:

1. Do not mess with my accounts under NO circumstance.
2. Do not move away with my belongings.
3. Do not damage or destroy it.

This is when trouble started.

The first sign of trouble started when I noticed my youtube account having videos that I've not seen before in my life, and I found out that he was the one doing so. He sent me a text telling me "don't get all psycho for that." Of course.. that made me mad, but I let that go. It wasn't until April 27th that he came running to me, telling me that he was going to be evicted by his previous landlord about being behind on rent, and he felt he was being swindled. Again, I felt a bit bad and loaned him $350. He got that done, then came to me the next day, asking for another $30 for rental late fees. I thought this was getting awfully suspicious, and my gut instinct clicked on that I just got gipped after giving him the money.

May 2, I get an email from Google that my account email has been changed. After a quick investigation, I found that it was him once again. I confronted him on the issue, things got ugly real fast. He wasn't listening to me and I was getting angry. I told him that I was going to hang up and cool off, I'll call him once I have done so and hung up. He sent me quite horrid texts, telling me that I was being uncivil, I was being childish and a 'bitch', 'psycho' and other choice words. I texted back demanding my stuff returned at once, and he never did. Instead, I told him also how much he owes me and his reply was 'yeah good luck with that and i will return your computer and ps2 whenever I get around to it.' I tried going to his place, and found he had moved, along with my things.

This had made me very upset, and I have tried contacting him for weeks. There was no arrangements, and there was no response. His phone was 'unreachable' and after contacting him through facebook on May 31, how I was taking him to court, he responded with 'don't message me again' and other choice words, along with the threat of having the police hand me a restraining order on harassment. Clearly I wasn't doing anything wrong, and I have saved all the texts and messages that he had sent me. I have not threatened him with physical harm, I've not stalked him, I don't even know where he lives now. I've called the police on the matter and they cannot help me due to the fact that there was no contract. He owes me $535 for monetary dues and my property to be returned, but I have a feeling that he won't return them no matter what, so there's another $348 in property value ($228 for the Chromebook and $120 for the PS2.)

Long story short, can I force him to also pay for the court costs along with charges of emotional distress (I was crying for weeks at work, I can't focus and I've been distraught to the point that I've snapped at my boss a few times accidentally at the mention of this problem), computer tamperment, and stolen property?

OHRoadwarrior

Not only will you not get "emotional distress", you only get the depreciated value of the assets you can prove and the cash you can prove. Assuming you actually win this meager judgment, you still have not found a way to collect it. I suggest you move on.

swalsh411

I'm hope your former friend appreciated your generous gifts.

Don't discuss your personal business at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">