• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized charges to account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mel g

What is the name of your state? California
I have been a member of Columbia House for about 2 years. On March 10, I bought my last required DVD and payed for it with my debit card. I then called Columbia House to confirm that my membership was cancelled and that I would not receive anything from them in the future. On April 28th, Columbia House made a charge to my debit card, which as it was right before pay-day, overdrew my account. I was then charged fees which in turn caused me to bounce checks resulting in more fees. I had not deducted the charge from my balance as I was not aware of them at that time. Columbia House then proceed to charge my account two more times in May. I discovered all of this when I want to take $20 out at the ATM and was $250 overdrawn. When I contacted my bank to see what had happened, we reviewed it and discovered the charges. The bank contacted Columbia House about the charges and they verified that my account had been closed and "automatically" re-opened. They said that upon re-activation my debit card was set up for automatic payment. However, I was never notified of being "re-activated" and certainly did not authorize them to take money out of my bank account. The customer service rep from CH told me that they would re-close my account and refund the charges and my bank fees. They asked me to fax a copy of my bank statement so that they could review the charges and come up with a total the same day. A manager was to contact me that day. No one called me. The next day I called back and got the same story. Again no one called me. Third day same story. On Monday, I threatened to file a complaint with the Dept of Consumer Affairs if I was not helped. A manager contacted me that day and said that it was not their policy to refund charges or cover fees incurred (despite the fact that I never recieved any DVDs for these charges). Once again, I told them that I would file a complaint. An hour later another manager called and asked me to re-fax my bank statement along with balance history showing how the charges affected my account. I also broke down the balance history without the Columbia House charges and resulting fees to make is easier to see that the overdraft actually did result from thier error. After reviewing this, they offered me a gift certificate if I renew my membership and re-itterated that it is not their policy to re-imburse for fees or refund faulty charges. Is there anything I can do to get re-imbersed for all the money this cost me? How can I make sure that they don't "accidently" do this again?

T

Tercr6

I think you answered your own question in what you told CH you would do.
Is columbia House in the same Court Juristiction you are to file small claims ? Small claims is for monetary awards .
Did you file with your CREDIT CARD HOLDER/BANK a statement stating you did not athorize these charges,and did the bank then send CH that statement.
I had an unauthorized charge and that's what my bank/DEBIT CARD did for me,( they are required to on dusputes),and the monies were then restored to my bank account from the sorse that wasn't authoized to take it.
Also,since you ,through you CREDIT CARD HOLDER/BANK would make out an unathorized ( you did not sign for athorization ) withdrawl statement,the bank should then waive ALL fees associated with the unathorized withdrawl.
Then you will be balenced out correctly !! Try that through the CREDIT CARD COMPANY ( unathorixed use statement ) first.
You'll be surprized !! : )
How doES CH figure they are entitled to "auto" reopen your account and CC ??

M

mel g

I actually already filed complaints with the FTC and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs. The CH reps claim that the computer re-opened my account all by itself. That's why I am concerned that it could happen again. I'd guess I'd better get a new debit card...

T

Tercr6

You should have your Bank/debit card file an (unsigned) unathorized use to CH,and send a copy to FTC & consumer affairs.
Banks have clout. Yes and have the bank give you a new account # and debit card #.

stephenk

never ever use a debit card if you have a credit card. if you dispute a credit card charge, the amount is held until the dispute is resolved.

as you found out by using a debit card, the money is gone instantly. it is very difficult to get a company to give you money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">