• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lizzy1011

Utah - recently my friend posted a snapchat of her drinking. when we went on a trip to Spain she got wasted to the point she got alcohol poising. She's currently 17 her parents have talked to her about this but she doesn't listen. I have saved this picture in hopes of turning it in as evidence so she will hopefull stop where can I report this?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Unless there is a town in Utah called Spain where this occurred... you don't.

She was not in Utah when she did this, so Utah law is not relevant.

If she was on a school trip when she did this, then one might have an issue with the chaperones (or lack of adult supervision).

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This poster doesn't have the best records with cellphones and pictures... https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/stolen-629395.html

Eekamouse

Utah - recently my friend posted a snapchat of her drinking. when we went on a trip to Spain she got wasted to the point she got alcohol poising. She's currently 17 her parents have talked to her about this but she doesn't listen. I have saved this picture in hopes of turning it in as evidence so she will hopefull stop where can I report this?
I don't think you're concerned about her. I think you hope to get her in trouble which really doesn't make you much of a friend.

LdiJ

The legal drinking age for beer and wine in Spain is 16. Therefore, if she was drinking beer or wine she was NOT a under age drinker at the time.

Zigner

An, on top of what LdiJ said...there is no way to know what liquid was being consumed from a picture.

quincy

The legal drinking age for beer and wine in Spain is 16. Therefore, if she was drinking beer or wine she was NOT a under age drinker at the time.
The legal drinking age was 16 when I lived in Spain years ago. It is now 18 throughout Spain.

Last edited:

Zigner

Of course, there's no small claims matter that would be heard even if the pic was of an underage person drinking in the US.

quincy

Of course, there's no small claims matter that would be heard even if the pic was of an underage person drinking in the US.
I think Lizzy1011 needs to let her friend's parents handle the matter.

Further, she should not post the picture online or distribute it to anyone. This can affect the friend's future, as employers and schools now look to applicants' online images.

I recommend she delete the picture.

LdiJ

The legal drinking age was 16 when I lived in Spain years ago. It is now 18 throughout Spain.
Nope, I just now looked it up. Its 18 for hard liquor and 16 for beer and wine. That is the law that went into effect in 2010.

LdiJ

Your 2010 source? I suggest you check again.
This is what I got:

It is illegal to sell alcoholic drinks to anyone under the age of 18. The minimum age to be served in licensed premises is 16 if: The alcoholic beverage is beer, wine or cider below 15% ABV
And I got it from several different sources.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I'm just popping in out of sheer curiosity but does the law differentiate between buying and/or selling alcohol, and actually drinking alcohol? Those are two different things ... no?

quincy

This is what I got:

And I got it from several different sources.
You might want to find current links and check out current laws.

The minimum legal age for drinking is 18 throughout Spain. The last area of Spain to have a 16 year old drinking age, Asturias, raised their drinking age to 18 in 2015.

See 2016's "Spain travel advice" at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/

CTU, the fines are pretty hefty for bars and restaurants selling alcohol to minors.

Last edited:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
/[/IMG]

CTU, the fines are pretty hefty for bars and restaurants selling alcohol to minors.
That much I do know ... but it doesn't answer my (completely irrelevant really) question about there being a difference between selling alcohol to a minor, and the minor actually consuming said alcohol. ;) :D

(It sort of makes sense that Asturias was the last hold-out; it's not your usual touristy hotspot and the tourists who do make regular visits aren't there for the beaches and the bars. Go there, and take your walking shoes. You won't regret it, I promise you)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">