• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair NYC Mta ticket. Entering without payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycsummer

While my sister visited NY last week, she got an unfair ticket from the MTA. An undercover cop issued her a $100 fine for entering a subway gate without swiping her card. He never gave her a chance to push the baby stroller through and go pack to pay!

Anyway, she is not a US citizen, resides in Denmark, the cop failed to write down the right adress, did't take down a phone number, ID number, passport number or employment info. The only information on the ticket is her name and birthdate. If she fails to pay, could they technically find her across the world? Does the Transit adjunction bureau of NY have any way of searching through INS records?
She's already back in Denmark and has no way of going to the hearing to defend herself either.

You Are Guilty

While my sister visited NY last week, she got an unfair ticket from the MTA. An undercover cop issued her a $100 fine for entering a subway gate without swiping her card. He never gave her a chance to push the baby stroller through and go pack to pay!
I have no idea what this means, but if its anything like it sounds, the officer didn't have to.

If she fails to pay, could they technically find her across the world?
I do not work for the TAB, so this isn't 100%, but I am fairly confident they can not.
Does the Transit adjunction bureau of NY have any way of searching through INS records?
Also extremely unlikely.

If she ever plans on coming back to NYC and in the process, gets stopped by the police, they will have a record of the unpaid ticket (and there's a decent chance she would be arrested for failing to appear to fight or pay it). Otherwise, there's little chance they'll do anything more about it.

Hot Topic

The officer couldn't be expected to read your sister's mind and know that she intended to go back, push the stroller through and pay. I wish I had $10 for every person who said, "But officer. I was going to go back and pay!"

You yourself titled the post ...Entering without payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">