+ Reply to Thread
    nycsummer is offline Junior Member

Unfair NYC Mta ticket. Entering without payment

While my sister visited NY last week, she got an unfair ticket from the MTA. An undercover cop issued her a $100 fine for entering a subway gate without swiping her card. He never gave her a chance to push the baby stroller through and go pack to pay!

Anyway, she is not a US citizen, resides in Denmark, the cop failed to write down the right adress, did't take down a phone number, ID number, passport number or employment info. The only information on the ticket is her name and birthdate. If she fails to pay, could they technically find her across the world? Does the Transit adjunction bureau of NY have any way of searching through INS records?
    She's already back in Denmark and has no way of going to the hearing to defend herself either.
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsummer View Post
    While my sister visited NY last week, she got an unfair ticket from the MTA. An undercover cop issued her a $100 fine for entering a subway gate without swiping her card. He never gave her a chance to push the baby stroller through and go pack to pay!
    I have no idea what this means, but if its anything like it sounds, the officer didn't have to.

If she fails to pay, could they technically find her across the world?
    I do not work for the TAB, so this isn't 100%, but I am fairly confident they can not.
    Does the Transit adjunction bureau of NY have any way of searching through INS records?
    Also extremely unlikely.

If she ever plans on coming back to NYC and in the process, gets stopped by the police, they will have a record of the unpaid ticket (and there's a decent chance she would be arrested for failing to appear to fight or pay it). Otherwise, there's little chance they'll do anything more about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    Hot Topic is offline Senior Member
    The officer couldn't be expected to read your sister's mind and know that she intended to go back, push the stroller through and pay. I wish I had $10 for every person who said, "But officer. I was going to go back and pay!"

You yourself titled the post ...Entering without payment.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    What does this have to do with small claims court?
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.