• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unintended Usurious Clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichLandlord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I let a friend live rent free in my house for 9 months with the agreement he will pay me back rent when he got a job. When it started I figured a month or 2 tops. After 6 months I started to get nervous a wrote a contract in regards to him paying back the debt. The total stay was 9 months rent free. The agreed upon repayment was $200 a month till the debt was paid. I put a $10/day late fee in the contract to deter late payments which didn't work but I only inforced the clause 1 time. When I was fed up with being paid late everytime. Now he is 2 weeks late and not returning phone calls or texts. It is becoming clear he does not plan to pay me. The $10/day fee was meant to deter late payments, not be used as this. I just want my initial rent money and do not wish to pursue any late fees. I fear that amount could be considered usurious. If I chose to wave that clause on those grounds will I be alright? Would a judge still look negatively on the clause? Could the contract be considered void? Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I let a friend live rent free in my house for 9 months with the agreement he will pay me back rent when he got a job. When it started I figured a month or 2 tops. After 6 months I started to get nervous a wrote a contract in regards to him paying back the debt. The total stay was 9 months rent free. The agreed upon repayment was $200 a month till the debt was paid. I put a $10/day late fee in the contract to deter late payments which didn't work but I only inforced the clause 1 time. When I was fed up with being paid late everytime. Now he is 2 weeks late and not returning phone calls or texts. It is becoming clear he does not plan to pay me. The $10/day fee was meant to deter late payments, not be used as this. I just want my initial rent money and do not wish to pursue any late fees. I fear that amount could be considered usurious. If I chose to wave that clause on those grounds will I be alright? Would a judge still look negatively on the clause? Could the contract be considered void? Thanks!
You don't need to start another thread - please keep this question in your earlier thread.

MichLandlord

My apologies. Just trying to get a clear answer. I figured since this is more contract law than lanlord-tenant here would be a good place to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">