• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid loaned money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeff_kresz

What is the name of your state? idaho
i loaned a friend $2,500 for her unpaid mortage payments and utiliy bills in 2000 and 2001. i have asked her repeatedly to repay me. she has said she is broke. now she is newly married, new husband has money. she now denies i gave her the moeny. i written documents which i showed her and she did not sign. we agreed verbally to the said maount. i live in idaho now. she resides in seattle. i worry she will lie to the court as she is not trustworthy. do i have a solid case? would her new husband be financially responsible as well?
also, the same (former) friend shares a rented house with me in idaho. i paid her former boyfriend, whose name is on the lease, the full deposit, $1,100 an last month's $400 for my rented room. she broke up with said boyfriend. he informed me, through email, that she underpaid rent $200 in march. she also informed me she is moving back to seattle, washington to live with new boyfriend. she said the lease ends may31. i know it ends june 25. she has said i will get my deposit back. i don't beleive her, for obvious reseans. do i have a case with her? do i apply both grievances in idaho or washington or seperately? i may have trouble contacting her, since i am traveling and she does not tell me of her current wherabouts. also, if she fails to appear, shat will happen to her and my money? thank you, jeff kresz

JETX

"do i have a solid case?"
*** No. Anytime that you do not have a written agreement to verify that a loan existed, you have a weak case. Simply, the court will have only the word of the parties to determine the facts.

"would her new husband be financially responsible as well?"
*** No.

"also, the same (former) friend shares a rented house with me in idaho."
*** How can she be sharing a house with you in Idaho.... and her living in Washington (assumed with her 'new' husband)?? Something is clearly missing here!

"i paid her former boyfriend, whose name is on the lease, the full deposit, $1,100 an last month's $400 for my rented room. she broke up with said boyfriend. he informed me, through email, that she underpaid rent $200 in march. she also informed me she is moving back to seattle, washington to live with new boyfriend. she said the lease ends may31. i know it ends june 25. she has said i will get my deposit back. i don't beleive her, for obvious reseans. do i have a case with her?"
*** No.

"do i apply both grievances in idaho or washington or seperately?"
*** Separate. In defendant state(s).

"i may have trouble contacting her, since i am traveling and she does not tell me of her current wherabouts."
*** Okay. Obviously, you can't take ANY action if you don't know where she is.

"also, if she fails to appear, shat will happen to her and my money?"
*** If you file a lawsuit against her and she fails to appear on that lawsuit, you could get a default judgment (assuming you have the basis for a lawsuit).

J

jeff_kresz

reply with more information

reagrding the unsigned agreement: she has said,, in past that she is aware of said money owed to me. yes, i failed to have her sign said agreement. patrick, a mutual axcquantance of ours, knows of this agreement, as was as her former boyfriend. if i get written proff thatthey know fo this agreement, would this help my case?

HomeGuru

Re: reply with more information

jeff_kresz said:
reagrding the unsigned agreement: she has said,, in past that she is aware of said money owed to me. yes, i failed to have her sign said agreement. patrick, a mutual axcquantance of ours, knows of this agreement, as was as her former boyfriend. if i get written proff thatthey know fo this agreement, would this help my case?
**A: they both would need to testify, on your behalf, in the court of law to support your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">