• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

up in flames, do i have a chance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PotatoGuy

What is the name of your state? MI

long story that happened close to two years ago. i have always been upset over this but did not think i had a chance.

I have collected and played a card game called Magic: The Gathering. A few of my friends play as well. one of my friends wanted to get back into the game and i had not played as much as i used to so i took my cards over to his house. he was still living with his parents. it was getting late so i left my large box of cards and binder of rare cards for him to look through and pick out what he wanted. i was going to either give or sell for little whatever he wanted.

the next day i got a call from my friend that his father had taken all my cards and burned them. what had happened after i had left was his brother had gotten caught stealing magic cards and his dad found out and took the cards that were out in the open (meaning all of mine) and took them outside and set fire to all of them. from what i remember from my friend, his father started the fire and let his wife watch the rest. both him and his brother and i would assume his sister witnessed it. they were trying to explain that the cards belonged to me and his dad did not care. my friend said to his father he was going to call me and the father responded with something along the lines of not lettting me on the property and i think some threat with a gun.

so, much later on (6 months or so) i had called the family back and asked about re-embursment and was shot down right away. the father refused to talk to me and the wife said, "there were a lot of things going on. you wouldn't understand." so in short, said no.

i had well over 1,000 cards and if i had to take a wild guess around $500-600 worth. i had a lot of money and memories wrapped up in those cards.

I had talked about it with my dad and he said because i had no proof the cards were mine or that i even had those cards i couldnt go anywhere with it. so i didnt.

is there anything i can do? please help me!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

so in running with that thought anyone can destroy anything as long as there is no proof of ownership?
Look. Take them to court. File in small claims court. When thejudge asks what proof do you have that the cards existed, and the value, and that dad destroyed them, you will be able to answer all 3 questions. When you file the lawsuit, you have the "burden" to prove whatever your lawsuit is about.

BelizeBreeze

It wasn't his dad. It was someone elses.

hate to disagree with you Ziggy, but c'mon, it's a game for crying out loud. I doubt they really cast spells, anymore than you or I turned into a duck or a goose from being tapped on the head. or actually made London Bridge fall down. I also never actually got rich playing Monopoly either.
Fair, the poster said he talked with HIS dad and HIS dad said he had no case....That's why Zig's comment.;)

moburkes

It wasn't his dad. It was someone elses.

hate to disagree with you Ziggy, but c'mon, it's a game for crying out loud. I doubt they really cast spells, anymore than you or I turned into a duck or a goose from being tapped on the head. or actually made London Bridge fall down. I also never actually got rich playing Monopoly either.
BB is right (and Zig). This is what OP stated about his own dad:
I had talked about it with my dad and he said because i had no proof the cards were mine or that i even had those cards i couldnt go anywhere with it. so i didnt.

BelizeBreeze

Don't delete. We are allowed to make mistakes every once in a while. Today is your day. Tomorrow is BBs.:D
I have only made two mistakes in my life.

in 1983 and 2004...

The first one I divorced and the second one I'm compounding each and every day, sometimes 25 times a day.:eek:

PotatoGuy

its just cards. like baseball cards are worth money. except its a game.

so i'm guessing there isnt anything i can do.
i obviously dont know anything about law.

it isnt as easy as taking him to court and saying that he did it. and because you cant lie in court, he says he did?

i'm guessing not. any other suggestions? sucks to just loose something like that and i cant do anything about it.

moburkes

its just cards. like baseball cards are worth money. except its a game.

so i'm guessing there isnt anything i can do.
i obviously dont know anything about law.

it isnt as easy as taking him to court and saying that he did it. and because you cant lie in court, he says he did?

i'm guessing not. any other suggestions? sucks to just loose something like that and i cant do anything about it.
It happened almost 2 years ago, but its just now starting to suck?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">