• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on Furniture Situation..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tamoko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

--

PREVIOUS THREAD
https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/furniture-money-lives-being-thretend-serious-439025.html

---

My mother had decided she does not want the money. She just wants Tom to have his furniture and get out of our lives.

Last week Tom said he would get his furniture when he rented the truck. My roommate and I are moving in within the next two weeks and we are going to buy new furniture.

What do we do with Tom's furniture? It's been upstairs since early June.

Should I call Tom and let him know that in 2 weeks my roommate and I will be getting new furniture and he has until that time to come and get it or it will be waiting outside for him?

Now---if I say this I am pretty sure he will get upset and say that he can't get the truck by then and a fight will start--again.

--

My roommate is willing to get a truck and bring the furniture to Tom but she will want him to pay us fr moving his furniture, truck rental, and gas. I am pretty sure he will not agree to this.

How should this happen?

BL

I thought the sister was claiming the furniture ?

Put the furniture in a storage unit .

Inform Tom and his sister where they are stored and the storage information , including their policy .

Inform them ( by RRR Certified mail ) you will only pay the 1 month storage ( just like an eviction ) , after that it's his her responsibility .

Keep all your records and documents in case of a lawsuit .

Tamoko

do I put the storage in their name? or in my name?

I really don't want to pay for anything.

Tom lived here for 6 months, never payed my mom.
Tom stored his furniture [his sister gave it to him but now she's claiming it] for about 7 months now and refuses to pay anything.
My mother and I packed and moves his room for him and refuses to pay up manual labor.
My friends and I moves the furniture around and kept it clean while renovating the upstairs and Tom won't pay for that.

The furniture being upstairs is putting a delay on my roommate and I moving up there. The heat/electricity is already on. because they are taking their time we have to pay for heat/electricity that we can't even use because of the furniture.

In order to move the furniture to a storage unit I will have to pay for a truck to move it, move it [with friends] and pay one month so they can take their time getting it?

Edit::

This isn't an eviction. This is abandonment. He never payed for anything and abandoned his furniture. The only reason he wants his furniture is that he thinks it will hurt my roommate and I's living arrangement.

BL

do I put the storage in their name? or in my name?

I really don't want to pay for anything.

Tom lived here for 6 months, never payed my mom.
Tom stored his furniture [his sister gave it to him but now she's claiming it] for about 7 months now and refuses to pay anything.
My mother and I packed and moves his room for him and refuses to pay up manual labor.
My friends and I moves the furniture around and kept it clean while renovating the upstairs and Tom won't pay for that.

The furniture being upstairs is putting a delay on my roommate and I moving up there. The heat/electricity is already on. because they are taking their time we have to pay for heat/electricity that we can't even use because of the furniture.

In order to move the furniture to a storage unit I will have to pay for a truck to move it, move it [with friends] and pay one month so they can take their time getting it?

Edit::

This isn't an eviction. This is abandonment
. He never payed for anything and abandoned his furniture. The only reason he wants his furniture is that he thinks it will hurt my roommate and I's living arrangement.
Then sell the furniture or donate it to good will .

Then defend yourself in court , if needed .

Or storage it for one month , and give them the option of receiving it for all those months of storage .

If not retrieved sell or donate .

Your choice .

You're repeating yourself over and over will not change the outcome .

Tamoko

I'm just upset.

They want to get away with out paying anything they owe and my mom is going to allow it but because they're too lazy to get the furniture that they abandoned for 180 days it's our responsibility to put it somewhere safe and pay for it too?

I just want to avoid confrontation. I don't want to get rid of Toms furniture because I know he'll try to get other people involved in get 'gangsta' with it.

Honestly, My mom has no money to store furniture that someone abandoned over 6 months ago. She's been paying so much to renovate the upstairs. She's paying a cool $1500.00 to fix the electrical and then she has to repair the floors. She has to sell stock to do this. I only have $55.00 saved up--to buy furniture when Tom's furniture is out of the apartment. My roommate just got her hours cut and she's trying to find a new job.

We are in no position to rent a truck [$$] and pay for storage [$$] when we have to buy furniture for ourselves.

I don't understand why I have to see my mother struggle because Tom doesn't want to pay.

I don't understand why my roommate and I have to wait to move into our apartment because Tom doesn't want to get his furniture--he wants us to wait until he's ready to get it.

I don't understand why the only safe solution is to pay more money for furniture that was abandoned-to store it and let them take their sweet time for a month to come and get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">