• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent Question!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daunbreakable1

What is the name of your state? VA

I let a female I knew for a few months borrow 855 bucks Last Nov/06 she wrotE a contract stating she would pay me back Dec1st. When the day came..she gave me a sob story crying etc etc..each week after that she promised to pay me.something always came up. So I ended up filING A CLAIM in March...but by the time she got the letter..she HAD MOVED.so she never got the letter to go to court. So I look up our case online..i noticed she had a recent case deing with fraud and it had her current mailing address. So last month i logged back on to get her address to start this process again..I guess the court removed her recent info. Now I'm not sure what to do. I googled her email she on alot of dating sites looking for men to take care of her. I got in Touch with her ex husband..he stated that is why they aren't together..I guess she did alot of things to him money wise. So how can i find her? I have her cell she answered a while back..I never bothered calling because I know she would hang up and it will make me mad. So I rather be civil about it and go to court..I WANT MY MONEY!!!

dcatz

If the other case was in the same court but is no longer online, you might try contacting the court to see if you can physically access case files by name. If so, go there and do it.

If the other case alleged fraud, that could be civil or criminal, but it your former friend is as active as she appears, there may be others in the same situation, and one or more may have filed a complaint with the DA. Why not check with them too? They may have an open criminal case. If so, you'll want a chance at restitution, if she's ever arrested, charged and convicted.

If you've filed a case, you have subpoena power, why not subpoena records from the cell phone service provider and see what they tell you?

Edit: I don't mean who she called on her cell phone. I refer to the contract for service. There may also be a credit application. Both of those could give you information you don't have or know you have now, such as SSAN, bank account, emergency contacts and even a new address. In a similar vein, if the money you loaned was by check, you'll have a cancelled check. Look on the back for her banking information and subpoena records for the same reason. There's not enough at issue to warrant use of a P.I., but there may be much more that you can do on your own than you realize. If you don't want the bother, give it to a professional - collection agency or attorney - on a contingent basis. Finally, there is always the option of selling your judgment, and buyers are easy to find. But expect to be offered cents on the dollar, and that will decrease as time goes by.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">