• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

used Friends Garage to store my belongings while i got back on my feet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ballin20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

in about the end of august 2008 i asked my friend for a favor to store my belongings in her garage. i called her about once after that and then a couple weeks ago i sent her a text letting her know that i was getting ready to get a place. she said ok because she needed the storage space for something already. now today i text her letting her know that i was going to get my things today or tomorrow and she said that after talking to the cops they said that she had the right to donate all my things to the salvation army. i had a bed that i had just paid off a home theater a glass dining table two older couches and a little thing to store my clothes and such that i made in high school i also had a bunch of clothes and other small things in the drawers and what not... is this legal for her to do or should i go about seeking to sue her.... i mean she couldve at least told me if u dont get your things by so n so day im giving it all away and a couple weeks ago she didnt say anything about giving it all away to the salvation army.. please help me asap thank you this was my whole life...

Colonel's Wife

Go ASAP and get your stuff. Bring a truck and some help. I doubt the Salvation Army truck could beat you there since pick ups are scheduled.

Also, I think you friend is BSing you about the cops. I don't believe police would have told her that since this seems like a civil matter and they deal in criminal ones. Is there any reason, your "friend" would be mad at you and withold your property? Did you promise to pay for storage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">