• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

using pictures in court? are there any rules?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Francophonist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois
I'm suing my landlord for holding my deposit for cleaning charges even though apartment was renovated floor to roof,so my deposit money was not really used to clean. and I took pictures of the apartment when it was getting renovated since the property is open, main door of complex is open, and my apartment door was open when it was getting renovated. I'm just afraid they might deny renovation, is it ok to show the pictures I took of the apartment being renovated in court?

Thanks in advance.

swalsh411

That's up to the Judge but I don't see why he would deny evidence that directly pertains to the issue of the case.

tranquility

All you will need to do is testify about where and when you took the pictures and they accurately represent the condition accurately. Then, if relevant they will be seen.

Francophonist

All you will need to do is testify about where and when you took the pictures and they accurately represent the condition accurately. Then, if relevant they will be seen.
another question just occurred to my mind can i take my camera or my laptop or should i print the pictures?

justalayman

yes, you should print the pictures; enough for you, the court, and the opposing party. Bring your camera as well so you can show the "original" if there are any questions of authenticity. I can photo shop the heck out of a pic and make it look like anything I want it to look like. Much harder to do it while it is still in the camera storage.

another question just occurred to my mind can i take my camera or my laptop or should i print the pictures?
It would be best to have the pictures printed. 3 copies of each picture just to be on the safe side. 1 for court, 1 for the other side should it come up and 1 for your records.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
yes, you should print the pictures; enough for you, the court, and the opposing party. Bring your camera as well so you can show the "original" if there are any questions of authenticity. I can photo shop the heck out of a pic and make it look like anything I want it to look like. Much harder to do it while it is still in the camera storage.
No it isn't. :cool:

justalayman

No it isn't. :cool:
The manipulation possible is generally limited to what the device can be programmed with.

if it is on something such as a phone cam, then yes, it can be manipulated but due to size limitations and "app" limitations, it is still more difficult than if it is loaded onto your computer. If using a dedicated camera, it is much less likely software is available to do major manipulations of a picture file although I put nothing into the realm of impossible.

but when it gets down to it, the file stored is the only thing that will allow proof it has or has not been altered. (unless it is really bad photo shop)

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The manipulation possible is generally limited to what the device can be programmed with.

if it is on something such as a phone cam, then yes, it can be manipulated but due to size limitations and "app" limitations, it is still more difficult than if it is loaded onto your computer. If using a dedicated camera, it is much less likely software is available to do major manipulations of a picture file although I put nothing into the realm of impossible.

but when it gets down to it, the file stored is the only thing that will allow proof it has or has not been altered. (unless it is really bad photo shop)
Dude, I can plug any of my cameras into the PC and manipulate the file because the computer is set up to recognize USB storage devices (aka memory cards). I can also remove any memory card from any camera, plug it into a card reader, make the changes and save them back over the original file. It's not rocket science. :cool:

justalayman

Dude, I can plug any of my cameras into the PC and manipulate the file because the computer is set up to recognize USB storage devices (aka memory cards). I can also remove any memory card from any camera, plug it into a card reader, make the changes and save them back over the original file. It's not rocket science. :cool:

let me restate what I have already stated:

it is more difficult to alter the image if the data remains in the storage device.

That would preclude using a computer to alter the data as you are transferring the data to the computer, altering it, then reinserting it into the storage device.

so, as I said; it is much harder to do if the data is in the storage device of the camera.

So, what does your manipulation do to any metadata present?

and just a technical point: USB storage is not typically referred to as a memory card. SD and the family of SD cards are memory cards. USB storage is more often referred to as a flash drive. The cards are not generally referred to as usb devices because they do not connect via their own USB connection but must be inserted into a device or adapter that has a USB or other type of connector.

I do understand your point though but when it comes down to it, transferring the data from device to device allows for tell tale evidence of the activity and as such, can be used to make a claim of the image being altered. If it is virgin data in the original storage device, it is harder to spoof (although even that is not impossible)

none of this is going to be a concern in a small claims court though and the judge is more likely to accept whatever is in the camera if the print images are questioned.

Francophonist

guys no photoshop, I just need to show some pictures to prove the apartment was clean when i left, and some other pictures that proves that the aprtment was getting renovated top to floor after i left, so they should not be charging me for cleaning, beside I'm counting on something totally different, i was only notified that i will be charged for cleaning a month and a half after i left my apartment, and Illinois state law states that landlord should inform tenant within 30 days for any charges, otherwise they are require to pay my deposit within 45 days, and they have not done either, and I live in 8 appartment complex.

Francophonist

guys no photoshop, I just need to show some pictures to prove the apartment was clean when i left, and some other pictures that proves that the aprtment was getting renovated top to floor after i left, so they should not be charging me for cleaning, beside I'm counting on something totally different, i was only notified that i will be charged for cleaning a month and a half after i left my apartment, and Illinois state law states that landlord should inform tenant within 30 days for any charges, otherwise they are require to pay my deposit within 45 days, and they have not done either, and I live in 8 appartment complex.
Thank you for all your replies, My landlord's lawyer proposed mediation, and the pictures i have were enough to get me my deposit back , since their claims were not accurate. feedback appreciated. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">