• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USSearch.com won't remove my information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koocachoo81

I live in Illinois. I am not sure if I have posted this thread under the correct category (apologies, if not)

There's a site called US Search (USSearch.com) that offers background checks, people search, etc. I have serious privacy concerns and I asked US Search that my personal information (Name + address) be removed from their site. They are telling me that they cannot block cell numbers, meaning information associated with a given cell number (when someone searches for someone else, using their number, not name or address). To me that makes no sense. It is also a serious privacy invasion. What do I do? I spoke with their supervisor, and he said he couldn't do anything!

Proserpina

I live in Illinois. I am not sure if I have posted this thread under the correct category (apologies, if not)

There's a site called US Search (USSearch.com) that offers background checks, people search, etc. I have serious privacy concerns and I asked US Search that my personal information (Name + address) be removed from their site. They are telling me that they cannot block cell numbers, meaning information associated with a given cell number (when someone searches for someone else, using their number, not name or address). To me that makes no sense. It is also a serious privacy invasion. What do I do? I spoke with their supervisor, and he said he couldn't do anything!

Information such as your name and address is not private and is generally available to the public.

Hence those sites are not obligated to remove your information; they're doing nothing wrong.

Koocachoo81

Correct.

You can choose to change your number and make it unlisted AND unpublished (there is a subtle difference), and see if that helps your privacy concerns.
Well, my number, which is actually a cell number, not landline, is actually unlisted and unpublished. I do not not know how they were able to obtain it. I don't think that a cell number should be public.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, my number, which is actually a cell number, not landline, is actually unlisted and unpublished. I do not not know how they were able to obtain it. I don't think that a cell number should be public.
You do know that you don't actually "own" the number, right?

Koocachoo81

Thanks for the feedback guys but I think I'll have to consult an attorney. In general landline phone numbers are public. You can still however call your phone company and request that they do not list/publish your number, and they will do that for you! Since when are cell phone numbers public too?? I thought they were always private. And why would this company, US Search, not honor my request that my personal information not be listed??

Proserpina

Thanks for the feedback guys but I think I'll have to consult an attorney. In general landline phone numbers are public. You can still however call your phone company and request that they do not list/publish your number, and they will do that for you! Since when are cell phone numbers public too?? I thought they were always private. And why would this company, US Search, not honor my request that my personal information not be listed??

Because they don't have to....and it's not in THEIR interest.

Please feel free to pay an attorney to tell you the same thing you've been told here :)

I can also pretty much guarantee that your information - the exact same information - is available via many other sources.

That is assuming, of course, that you're not simply advertising the search site!

justalayman

since your phone carrier is the entity that has the information regarding your cell number and it being associated with you, I suggest you gripe to your cell provider about them selling the info to others.

that and taking the information from something you provided is the only way for anybody to determine you are associated with your phone number and of course, you have never filled out anything where you gave your cell number and your name that might have been sold to USSearch, right?

Koocachoo81

Because they don't have to....and it's not in THEIR interest.
Proserpina:

Are you an attorney yourself?? This is not just about them listing my information (and your information too, if you live in the States). This is about me asking them to remove it for specific reasons which I don't have to discuss with anyone and them refusing to do so. So basically you are saying that yes, they can refuse to do so. Is that so? I'm sorry but I don't think I want everyone to know my address simply by typing in my number. I am not the only person with this "gripe" btw. It's just that no one has probably posted about it on this site before.

Last edited:

tranquility

It's not a matter of "public" or "private", but of what information they have.

Here, a third party knows your information. Sorry about that. You cannot force them to forget. Get an attorney if you want, but you're just wasting money.

By-the-by, what is your cause of action?

justalayman

Proserpina:

Are you an attorney yourself?? This is not just about them listing my information (and your information too, if you live in the States). This is about me asking them to remove it for specific reasons which I don't have to discuss with anyone and them refusing to do so. So basically you are saying that yes, they can refuse to do so. Is that so? I'm sorry but I don't think I want everyone to know my address simply by typing in my number. I am not the only person with this "gripe" btw. It's just that no one has probably posted about it on this site before.
I can assure you they do not have my cellphone number associated with my name.

and you can ask all you want but unless there is a law that says they cannot do what they are doing, they can continue to refuse to act as you ask.

Proserpina

Proserpina:

No, I am not an attorney.

Yes, they CAN refuse to remove your information.

Ok?

alanhzl

Koocachoo81

Just consult an attorney. They are the professional who knows what they are doing. I'm sure they would be able to address your concerns in the appropriate manners. Plus, many attorneys offer free consultation, but it would definitely cost to initiate any kinds of legal actions. See what they say, and go from there.

don't let no body on here or what they say add any more frustrations to your case. Without the valid credibilities, anyone can say anything that means just as much as any BS that floats around the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">