• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbischof

What is the name of your state?California
My roomates moved out on NOV 19/2004. We recieved an electric bill for $500 due for DEC, only to find out that they put stop payment on the last three payments, after the electric company posted them to the account.Oddly enough she made three payments in NOV within the 1st two weeks, so basically she was letting the account go past due while still collecting my money. The roomate was paying the bills online, and stopped the mailed bills, so i never saw them. I did not check online because I trusted that she was paying them. I recieved no notices of being past due, or warnings. I am not sure if she tossed them or not. Unfortunately the electric bill is in my name,and I was stupid to trust her, but I did. I have record of giving her checks for my share of the electricity bill up until NOV. I am considering taking them to court, but I do not want to go through the trouble if it will not be worth it. I think I can win, but I would like some advice. What should I do, and What can I sue for? Because in actuality we are paying triple the amount.

bbischof

utilities cont.

I use "they" because it was two roomates, and I use "her" because she is the one who paid, then canceled the checks. I am suing both of them, but she is the primary one that I wrote my checks out to for this bill. However, the checks were most likely coming form (her boyfriend) the other roomates account. I have all documentation with all names that will be submitted in court. I am frustrated, so I apologize for the confusion. There are 2 people being sued, but the female roomate was the one suppossedly taking care of this bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">