• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sucmanh

Hi,

Here's my situation:

I have a 12-month lease. In the lease, it states that Renters will be responsible for utility. Utility includes electricity, heat, phone, cable. It is a 4-bedroom apartment. I share the apartment with other 3 people. However, each of us has an individual lease with the Landlord.

I graduated and left for the city. I still have 6 month on the lease. Of course I still pay the rent every month. For the electricity, even though I don't physically live in the apartment anymore, I still pay 1/4 of the bill.

We also subscribe to have enhance cable TV and high speed internet package. I think since high speed internet and more cable channels is merely entertainment, I shouldn't have to pay 1/4 of the bill any more. My reason is this: the fact that I refuse to participate in the cable/internet deal at the very beginning and just now should not make a difference. If I had refuse to participate in the beginning, they (the other 3 roommates) would have come up with a package deal that they can afford. If I wish to stop be part of the deal now, they would simply downgrade their service to the one that they can afford.

One laywer, however, told me that I am obligated to pay 1/4 of the cable bill, for in the very beginning, I agreed to participated in the deal. Since the lease duration is 12 months, and the lease states that Renters are responsible for utility, plus the fact that I have been paying 1/4 of the cable bill utill now, therefore, I'm obligate to continue paying 1/4 of the bill until my lease ends. He argued that I was part of the oral contract between me and my roommates to decide that cable/high speed internet package was part of Utility, therefore, I'm obligated to pay till the end.

There's another thing. Since the fact that I would be graduating ealier was never brought up, the other 3 roommates must be under the assumption that I'll stay till the end, while I was under the assumption that I only pay for it while I'm there. My roommates refuse to downgrade their cable package.

I'm looking for a 2nd opinion.

Let's say the laywer was right, I'm in the wrong and my roommates sue me for around $120 for compensation in a Conciliation Court, does it gonna go to my 'criminal' record? Is it gonna be bad for me?

Thank you very much.

before you start worrying about the cable bill, you should send written notice of your intent to NOT renew your lease at the end of the term, so you don't get stuck paying month-to-month longer than you had expected to.

I wish I could help you with the cable bill - but I'm sure someone here can offer you some advice.

--Dave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">