• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utility dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pointypinky

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Six months ago a roommate moved out on me, leaving me holding the bag for the entire rent of our apartment. Now she is emailing me telling me that if I don't pay her for utilities accrued 6 months ago, she will be taking me to small claims court. Honestly, I do owe this money, but this person left me struggling with the rent, and managed to get back her entire security deposit from the landlord. If there is anyway I can get out of paying her, I will do it.

My name is not on the utility bill, and the company has told me that I have no obligation to pay, but my lease says that "the lessee shall be responsible for arranging and paying for all utilities". Does anyone see any hope for me?? If I have to take another hit for this repugnant person, I will be seriously depressed.

Thanks

BL

pointypinky said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Six months ago a roommate moved out on me, leaving me holding the bag for the entire rent of our apartment. Now she is emailing me telling me that if I don't pay her for utilities accrued 6 months ago, she will be taking me to small claims court. Honestly, I do owe this money, but this person left me struggling with the rent, and managed to get back her entire security deposit from the landlord. If there is anyway I can get out of paying her, I will do it.

My name is not on the utility bill, and the company has told me that I have no obligation to pay, but my lease says that "the lessee shall be responsible for arranging and paying for all utilities". Does anyone see any hope for me?? If I have to take another hit for this repugnant person, I will be seriously depressed.

Thanks
All that the lease is Stating , is the LL is not responsible for paying utilities .

So , tell her if she sues , you will counter sue for rent .

Tell her you consider this issue a wash , and to get on with their life .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">