• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacating 10 year old unpaid judgement, which was not properly served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mario99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have a judgement from a former landlord from 10 years ago. I ended up moving out of state (my roommate stayed) before the lease ended and the landlord filed a civil suit. They got a judgement because I did not show, however I was never served.

Even though its been 10 years can I still get it vacated and what would I have to do to prove they did not serve me?

BL

I have a judgement from a former landlord from 10 years ago. I ended up moving out of state (my roommate stayed) before the lease ended and the landlord filed a civil suit. They got a judgement because I did not show, however I was never served.

Even though its been 10 years can I still get it vacated and what would I have to do to prove they did not serve me?
So ,appearantly your former room mate also did not adhire to the lease either ,causing the LL to file eviction and won a judgement . For all you know you were served just not served peronally.

You need to contact the court's records room/clerk and veiw your file to see how you were served .

In any event I think you are reaching for the stars and this just will not happen.

Proserpina

The time to argue was 10 years ago.

It's a non-issue now.

And I would suspect that you were served at your last known address, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">