• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

valid claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

puffy7

What is the name of your state? Florida

I had a verbal agreement with a renter moving from out of state to move into the residence in december and stay through june. I accepted a sec dep and rent for dec., the renter did not show up in dec or jan and is now demanding their money back and threatening to sue. I did not rent their room out for either month and did not receive rent for jan. What is the legal thing to do here? Is the renter owed their money back? Is it a valid claims court suit against me?

JETX

"What is the legal thing to do here?"
*** Based solely on the very limited information provided in your post, it appears that the renter had tenancy rights in Dec (paid rent). It is his fault that he didn't exercise them.

"Is the renter owed their money back?"
*** Again, based solely on the information in your post, no.

"Is it a valid claims court suit against me?"
*** Of course. Anyone can sue anyone else for almost anything. I doubt that he would prevail in the unlikely chance that he could file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">