• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Valid contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone. I let someone borrow $3000,but did not indicate the breakdown of the cumulative sum of $3000 within contract,so is contract still valid? In case relevant, the sum of $3000 was a random amount my ex-girlfriend and I came up with, considering I made the mortgage payments and paid most bills for a year straight. Yes, the informal loans due to her lack of financial help way, way exceeds $3000, but that's probably irrelevant. Do I need to present receipts when I go to small claims, or is the contract alone good enough? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks everyone!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone. I let someone borrow $3000,but did not indicate the breakdown of the cumulative sum of $3000 within contract,so is contract still valid? In case relevant, the sum of $3000 was a random amount my ex-girlfriend and I came up with, considering I made the mortgage payments and paid most bills for a year straight. Yes, the informal loans due to her lack of financial help way, way exceeds $3000, but that's probably irrelevant. Do I need to present receipts when I go to small claims, or is the contract alone good enough? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks everyone!
If she agreed to repay you $3,000.00 in your writing, that should be all that is required.
But, I'm curious...in what time frame was she required to repay this?

John101

$3000 Loan

I appreciate your feedback. To elaborate on terms, she was to pay $500 per month for the next 6 months, in which she did make the first payment, thus I'd be suing for $2500. I also indicated within the contract that her final payment of $500 would be due on 6/1/11, if there was no previous default. Again, thank you for your time. Here is the exact text within the contract, minus the names, of course....
"I" am to receive $500 per month from "the she" for
money borrowed in 2010. If "she" defaults in payments to "me",
there will be a 10% interest rate penalty applied to remaining balance
until balance brought to current. "She" will also pay any and all
costs/fees associated with the process of collecting the unpaid
balance, including attorney's costs/fees, collection agency
costs/fees, and/or court costs/fees, if ultimately applicable.
Payments of $500 may be mailed (not dropped off) to xxx on the 1st of every month for 6 months,
beginning on 1/1/2011, thus bringing total to $3000.00 upon final
payment, in which final payment is to be made on or before 6/1/2011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">