• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angiebree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ks

Awhile back, my ex boyfriend and I financed a vehicle... he actually was the co signer. I made all the payments and used my tax money to pay off the loan. For some reason the title was put as angela and jason.. He won't sign it to get it in my name only. I have 3 kids to care for and he won't give me the vehicle back. Said it's his also...I'm I just screwed out of everything I paid for?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Awhile back, my ex boyfriend and I financed a vehicle... he actually was the co signer. I made all the payments and used my tax money to pay off the loan. For some reason the title was put as angela and jason.. He won't sign it to get it in my name only. I have 3 kids to care for and he won't give me the vehicle back. Said it's his also...I'm I just screwed out of everything I paid for?
Go get your car.

CSO286

It is also yours.....Go get it....Take it to the dealership and get it rekeyed(sneaky, I know)....Make him sue you for it.

sandyclaus

i have no idea where it is
Then it sucks to be you.

As the vehicle is titled, it belongs to BOTH of you.

That means EITHER ONE of you can take possession of the vehicle from the other and it wouldn't be considered theft. (You could repossess, but he could turn around and do the same thing.)

It also means that the vehicle cannot legally be SOLD unless both parties agree and sign the title over to the prospective buyer (in case that's what you are thinking may have happened).

Word to the wise: Choose your life partners and related financial entanglements VERY CAREFULLY. This could be YOU in the same situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">