• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle impounded illegally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JRNLM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I was pulled over a couple of months ago for not having a operating lisence plate light.The officer impounded my truck after finding out my li. was suspended.While in the impound yard a court appointed attorney had some kind of investigator check out the lights on the truck and he found all vehicle lighting to be working perfectly ,including the LICENSE plate light.All this is documented ...The police report says that I was pulled over for the broken light! My question is this...Seeings how the officer lied..straight out!from the begining as for why he pulled me over in the first place,might I have some kind of law suit to recover impound fees? .....Roughly 2500.00

Last edited:

CourtClerk

First, your car wasn't impounded for having a nonfunctioning license plate light, your car was impounded for DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE. Never have I heard of a car being impounded for not having a license plate light... Never.

Now, how are you going to overcome that you shouldn't have been driving in the first place because your license was SUSPENDED?

xylene

You seem to imply the stop was pretextual.

Well, even if it was the impound was valid.

You were found to be driving, which is a not a search that is subject to being suppressed.

JRNLM

First, your car wasn't impounded for having a nonfunctioning license plate light, your car was impounded for DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE. Never have I heard of a car being impounded for not having a license plate light... Never.

Now, how are you going to overcome that you shouldn't have been driving in the first place because your license was SUSPENDED?
FIRST OF ALL,I HAD NO IDEA MY LICENSE WAS SUSPENDED,I THOUGHT I WAS GOOD TO GO!STATE TOOK IT FOR SOMETING HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING...THE OFFICER SAID (IN HIS REPORT)HE PULLED ME OVER FOR A LIGHT OUT,THAT TURNED OUT TO BE WORKING PERFECTLY(SAID THE INVESTIGATOR IN HIS REPORT)!WHY WOULD THE COURT APP. ATT. SEND SOMEBODY DOWN TO THE IMPOUND YARD TO CHECK THE LIGHT,IF IT DIDNT MATTER.fURTERMORE,WHY WOULD A COP GIVE THIS LIGHT EXCUSE AS THE REASON FOR PULLING ME OVER(IN HIS REPORT THAT IS !,IF HE DIDNT NEED AN EXCUSE IN THE FIRST PLACE!THIS COP HAD NO REASONABLE CAUSE FOR PULLING ME OVER ....ONE MORE TIME!!!!THE LIGHT WORKED?WHY WAS I PULLED OVER IN THE FIRST PLACE?WAS I PULLED OVER ILLEGALLY?

Last edited:

JRNLM

first, your car wasn't impounded for having a nonfunctioning license plate light, your car was impounded for driving on a suspended license. never have i heard of a car being impounded for not having a license plate light... never.

Now, how are you going to overcome that you shouldn't have been driving in the first place because your license was suspended?
have you ever heard of someone being pulled over for a light that worked just fine?

Isis1

have you ever heard of someone being pulled over for a light that worked just fine?
dude, if it was the light, you would have had a fix it ticket and gone on your merry little way.

your license was suspended. you cannot get those impound fees back. stop driving around while your license is suspended.

next, it's going to be the DMV for not notifying you about your suspended license. which would have been at least three months prior to suspension.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Being pulled over and having the vehicle impounded are two separate issues.

Furthermore, you cannot prove that your light was working AT THE TIME OF THE STOP. Perhaps the bulb was a tad loose and the process of having it towed made it start working again. Hell, on my trailer, I have to do a walk-around to tap on the running lights every time before I use it. The ones that are out almost always come back on with a good thumping!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">