• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiadilts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I had a verbal agreement with a friend that she would pay me back, for several things, over the past 3 years, everything from car payments (the car is under my name but I bought the car for her to use), to insurance payments, registration, cash for her electric bill, entertainment (sporting event tickets), etc. She and I were close friends, she obtained a company car and no longer wants the car that is under my name, I have had to make approximatley $2000 in payments to keep my credit in tact. The vehicle is in her garage and is not working, she has offered to surrender possession, but I do not know whether I should take the car? My questions are as follows:

1) Would a verbal agreement stand in court? I also have at least four friends who could provide a written statement regarding what I have told them about her not paying me back, my husband could also tesitfy on my behalf in person

2) Should I take the car, or make her keep it at her house to show that she has possession?

3) Since small claims court has a maximum, would I be better off going for the $2000 for miscellanous items, or the $2000 for the car payments I made for her?

4) I am guessing that I should send her an e-mail (written proof) about what she owes me, and that I will have to take her to court if she doesnt pay? I think this would upset her less than getting a lawyer letter right away, I would like to avoid litigation if possible, she will come out with fists swinging!

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">