• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a verbal agreement enough?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Axiom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin / Arizona

For starters, I put both states, because my sister in WI is attempting to sue me, in AZ.

Anywho, a little while ago, she gave me a car under the agreement that I would "pay her when I can." That quickly turned into, "pay me now."

When she signed the car over to me, she put $0.00 as the amount on the title, and there is absolutely nothing in writing saying I agreed to pay her any amount of money. She's getting really crabby and threatening to sue me, saying that if I don't show up in court (in Wisconsin, mind you), that I will serve time.

I couldn't find anything verifying this on the web, but I wanted to double check. Thanks for any help!

justalayman

first, she would have to sue you in your home state.

then, by putting $0.00 in the sales amount when there was actually money exchanged is conspiracy to tax evasion.

It could go either way in court. A judge could say "well, you put $0 on the title so that is what you get" or the could admonish her for the illegal action and award a judgment.

in your defense, you just say "I said I would pay her when I can. I just don't believe I am in a position to pay he yet".

and no, you are not going to jail. It is a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">