• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement loan with ex sister in law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kutey504

What is the name of your state?Tennessee.
In March of 2002 my sister-in=law borrowed 3400.00 from me stating she was about be to forclosed on. She found out I had just got some money from my Dad and knew I had it. I have gotten a copy of the check showing where I paid her the money. Everytime I ask her about repayment she claims as soon as she gets money from a lawsuit she has. Can I sue in small claims and win with only verbal agreement?

Last edited:

Happy Trails

kutey504 said:
What is the name of your state?Tennessee.
In March of 2002 my sister-in=law borrowed 3400.00 from me stating she was about be to forclosed on. She found out I had just got some money from my Dad and knew I had it. I have gotten a copy of the check showing where I paid her the money. Everytime I ask her about repayment she claims as soon as she gets money from a lawsuit she has. Can I sue in small claims and win with only verbal agreement?
What was the agreement on repaying you? If you both agreed that she would repay you when she got her settlement than she hasn't broken the agreement.

I would suggest you write up what the agreement was and get her to sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">