• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a VERBAL agreement valid in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UN-works!

What is the name of your state? PA

I have lend a "friend" $200 over a year ago, it was a mutual verbal agreement that the money would be given back to me within 2 weeks and it hasn't.

Before I spend over $80 in small claims to file this thing, I have to wonder what validity a VERBAL agreement really has. This person can say this transaction never happened.

Also, I am not sure for how much to sue. I see a space on the form that indicates it should include all the "costs following the claim" . Does that mean I can sue for the interest on the $200 acquired in the 12 months that had passed AND the filing fees?

Given such nominal amount, should I even bother suing? I'm sure you read this on this site a lot but to me it's a matter of principal. I am dissapointed this person has ignored every request I've made to try to recover this loan.

Please respond if you have any information pertaining to my situation. Thank you.

HomeGuru

UN-works! said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I have lend a "friend" $200 over a year ago, it was a mutual verbal agreement that the money would be given back to me within 2 weeks and it hasn't.

Before I spend over $80 in small claims to file this thing, I have to wonder what validity a VERBAL agreement really has. This person can say this transaction never happened.

Also, I am not sure for how much to sue. I see a space on the form that indicates it should include all the "costs following the claim" . Does that mean I can sue for the interest on the $200 acquired in the 12 months that had passed AND the filing fees?

Given such nominal amount, should I even bother suing? I'm sure you read this on this site a lot but to me it's a matter of principal. I am dissapointed this person has ignored every request I've made to try to recover this loan.

Please respond if you have any information pertaining to my situation. Thank you.
**A: yes, a verbal agreement is valid in court but be prepared for true lies. If you have no written evidence of the loan, then good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">