• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

withonel

What is the name of your state? California

My step-son (20) is being sued for not returning models supplied to him by a potential employer. Here's the situation:
SS responded to flyer posted at community college looking for artists.
SS met w/petitioner(P), initial mtg SS showed P his work, P contacted SS again and verbally contracted with him for 10 drawings of cars at $10/ea, gave SS some models and pictures from magazines in a cardboard box for reference. No money ever changed hands.
P wanted pics in 2 wks, SS said it would take longer,
P said he'd call in 2 wks to check progress.
SS started wkg on project, got overwhelmed w/school, felt compensation was too low, stopped wkg on project.
P called in 3 mos, within that time SS had thrown away the materials thinking P was no longer interested either. When SS told P he'd disposed of models, P asked for $30 to compensate him for loss of models. SS didn't feel models were worth $30.
Now P is suing SS for $750.
SS wants to fight it saying P broke original verbal contract because he called 3 mos later, not 2 wks later.
Personally, I think he'll lose and now have a judgement for $750 against him (or whatever the P can prove the stuff was worth).
I suggest he make an offer of $50 to P before court. Right now SS is adamant that he did nothing wrong.
Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">