• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreements in PA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daveringstaff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I will keep this short but will answer questions if asked.

Loaned 1485 dollars to my cousin in June of 2010. 1185 was paid to a mechanic for a repair (oh which I have the receipt and bank statement since I used my debit card and the shop was located in GA) and weeks later I wrote him a 300 dollar check because he needed money to pay for further repairs etc. I also have a copy of the check. It was verbally agreed upon that he would repay the money immediately. It is now December 2011 and not one dime as been repaid.

Although there is no written contract, I do have no less than four conversations online (e-mail, AIM, Facebook) and a text message on my phone stating that he agrees to pay me back the money he was lent.

He refuses to pay me and I want to file a small claim against him for the money. Would this be advantageous for me to try and collect 1500 dollars or not worth the hassle and headache?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I will keep this short but will answer questions if asked.

Loaned 1485 dollars to my cousin in June of 2010. 1185 was paid to a mechanic for a repair (oh which I have the receipt and bank statement since I used my debit card and the shop was located in GA) and weeks later I wrote him a 300 dollar check because he needed money to pay for further repairs etc. I also have a copy of the check. It was verbally agreed upon that he would repay the money immediately. It is now December 2011 and not one dime as been repaid.

Although there is no written contract, I do have no less than four conversations online (e-mail, AIM, Facebook) and a text message on my phone stating that he agrees to pay me back the money he was lent.

He refuses to pay me and I want to file a small claim against him for the money. Would this be advantageous for me to try and collect 1500 dollars or not worth the hassle and headache?
You would need to file the claim in his jurisdiction. Winning is easy. Collecting is the hard part, but the most you have to lose is the filing fee and your time.

daveringstaff

He lives in the same jurisdiction as I do so no problem there. If the defendent does NOT end up paying me after they rule in my favor, what are my options? Can I seize assets? File for a garnishing of his wages? Sell the debt to a debt collector?

daveringstaff

He was to pay me back on four separate occassions. Once in September of 2010. Then he was to begin making payments to me every month in January of 2011. Then he was to pay most if not all back in November of 2011 and then he was to make payments in December of 2011. All four of these "agreements" to pay me back he broke which is why I am considering small claims court now.

Antigone*

He lives in the same jurisdiction as I do so no problem there. If the defendent does NOT end up paying me after they rule in my favor, what are my options? Can I seize assets? File for a garnishing of his wages? Sell the debt to a debt collector?
No garnishing wages in PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">