• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccgod

My brother offered to pay my lawyer fees to help fight for custody of my child in 2011. I agree and said i would pay him back when I was able to no certain amount was discussed because we didn't know how much it would be over all. I've made a couple small payments over the years and 5k payment in sept 2014. I still owe about 14k. Things have fallen apart with my family because of hateful emails I found between my brother and mother. I now have evidence that he violated ucmj laws and says if I report him he'll sue me for the 14k that I still owe him. I looked up and it says the statue of limitations to sue in Washington dc is 3 years. Would he be able to sue for the money? If all we had was a verbal contract? And nothing I ever signed saying I would pay him on a document.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My brother offered to pay my lawyer fees to help fight for custody of my child in 2011. I agree and said i would pay him back when I was able to no certain amount was discussed because we didn't know how much it would be over all. I've made a couple small payments over the years and 5k payment in sept 2014. I still owe about 14k. Things have fallen apart with my family because of hateful emails I found between my brother and mother. I now have evidence that he violated ucmj laws and says if I report him he'll sue me for the 14k that I still owe him. I looked up and it says the statue of limitations to sue in Washington dc is 3 years. Would he be able to sue for the money? If all we had was a verbal contract? And nothing I ever signed saying I would pay him on a document.
UCMJ? You last paid in 2014? That is within three years. He can sue you. And a verbal contract is still a contract. You owe him the money.

Bdrew6

SoL applies only if you had no payment action. IE never paid, being that you were making payments, the SoL was 'tolled.' SoL generally in consumer debts is from the date of the last payment.

OHRoadwarrior

He is family who lent you money in good faith. It is not your job to police his relationship with mom and use it to justify ripping off your brother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">