• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract between people

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phillyizme

What is the name of your state? Indiana

this is a question in reference to my new fiance's legal matters pertaining to an ex boyfriend. While they were together he obtained cell phones for the both of them, she was NOT on any written contract with the company at all, the "ex" just quit paying the bill altogether and is currently being contacted by a collection agency, he claims that she owes him half of the total cost of the contract which is supposedly still open although the phones have not been used in approx. 7 months (about the time they split.) He keeps threatening a lawsuit against her even though she has willingly gave him money to help pay for the bill that she helped build up at the time while they were together, his lawsuit is based on the fact that they made a "legal binding verbal contract" when they got the phones that she would pay half of all costs, although she had no access to being able to cancel the phones at any given point, only had access to view his account information. in a court of law if she were to let him takje her would his "verbal agreement" have any merit behind it, being that she was under the age of 18 at the time of aquistiotion of the phones and at the time when the phones were no longer used? I am trying to help her work it out without including the pain and hassles of a courtroom, but i also dont want to see her get screwed out of her money by him for not actually cancelling the phone contract and allowing the owed amount to increase due simply to his negligence. Any advice in this matter would be appreciated, although i know there is alot to be asked by anyone who reads it and tries to help, as far as im aware a verbal contract has not been formed in this given situation, am i correct in that matter?

P

phillyizme

Thank you thats what i figured but was unsure, any information as to how you came up with that would be wonderous, as his step father is an attorney and i hoenstly just want to bust his balls for making threats of sueing her lol thanks again tho

BelizeBreeze

phillyizme said:
Thank you thats what i figured but was unsure, any information as to how you came up with that would be wonderous, as his step father is an attorney and i hoenstly just want to bust his balls for making threats of sueing her lol thanks again tho
Let him file suit. Tell your daughter to put on her pretties dress, a minimum of makeup and walk with her head high to court.

When the Plaintiff (ex) is done with presenting his case (SHE IS SILENT DURING THIS TIME except to answer the judge's questions) she says: "Your Honor, at this time the defense moves to dismiss on the grounds the plaintiff has shown now basis for recovery."

Let him prove she promised to repay the "GIFT" or signed the contract or took responsibility of any kind other than to receive a "GIFT".;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">