• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract, money loaned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lms218

I am a student at Virginia Tech and live in the state of Virginia. In November of 2007, I loaned a girl from my dorm $200 in the form of a trip to the ACC Championship in Jacksonville, Fl. My friends and I were afraid to leave her in town alone, since she was going through some personal issues, and her parents wouldn't help her pay for the trip. I agreed to loan her the money for her part of the trip which she agreed to pay back at the beginning of the Spring semester in 2008.
I paid for her ticket, her portion of the gas money owed, and for her two night stay at a hotel. We had a verbal agreement which I have others that are her friend and can witness to. She ended up having a medical procedure over winter break and promised to return the loan during that semester.
Now it has been over a year and she will not answer my phone calls or messages online, not that I've sent many or even mentioned the money. I'd like to get the money back since I know now that she has a job and is living at home in Philadelphia without having any bills to pay and I do not feel bad having the motive to collect if she is capable. I am also very angry over her lack of morals in dealing with me as her friend and want her to know that she cannot take advantage of people and get away with it as she often does. I have a lawyer who would represent me for free, so would it be wise for me to take legal action?

cyjeff

Have your attorney send her a collection letter promising all kinds of nebulous and terrible but LEGAL ramifications if you don't receive the money in a couple of days.

Works 9 times out of 10.

If it doesn't work, you go to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">