• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract for tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coy95

What is the name of your state? WA

I received a call in regards to a craigslist post I made for 8 tickets to a soccer game. The caller was interested in buying four tickets; however I had already sold six of the eight. I offered her two tickets and she agreed to purchase the tickets and agreed to the price I had listed on craigslist.

I made arrangements to meet her the day of the game (at the same time and place I was meeting the other buyers). She called shortly after we were to meet and said she was running late. We agreed to meet closer to the stadium for both of our conveniences. I then spoke to her two additional times to make sure we could find each other but she eventually stopped answering her phone and never showed up; I can only speculate that she found a scalper with cheaper tickets.

My question is can I take her to small claims court for the breach of a VERBAL CONTRACT to recover the cost of the tickets I was not able to sell?

To support me claim, I have phone records showing we spoke, I have the craigslist add, I have e-mails from other buys offering to buy, I have the contact of the two other buyers that did purchase the tickets from me, and I have a witness that was with me waiting for her to arrive.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
coy95 said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I received a call in regards to a craigslist post I made for 8 tickets to a soccer game. The caller was interested in buying four tickets; however I had already sold six of the eight. I offered her two tickets and she agreed to purchase the tickets and agreed to the price I had listed on craigslist.

I made arrangements to meet her the day of the game (at the same time and place I was meeting the other buyers). She called shortly after we were to meet and said she was running late. We agreed to meet closer to the stadium for both of our conveniences. I then spoke to her two additional times to make sure we could find each other but she eventually stopped answering her phone and never showed up; I can only speculate that she found a scalper with cheaper tickets.

My question is can I take her to small claims court for the breach of a VERBAL CONTRACT to recover the cost of the tickets I was not able to sell?

To support me claim, I have phone records showing we spoke, I have the craigslist add, I have e-mails from other buys offering to buy, I have the contact of the two other buyers that did purchase the tickets from me, and I have a witness that was with me waiting for her to arrive.
You have no case.

JETX

coy95 said:
And now for a legally ACCURATE answer...
Yes, you can "take her to small claims court". However, the best you can do is the value of the tickets, at the time of the 'sale'.... or face value, whichever is less.
Also, if this was in Seattle, Section 5.40.60 of the Seattle Municipal Code forbids the sale or resale of tickets "at a price in excess of the price printed, stamped or written thereon."

To support me claim, I have phone records showing we spoke
Not relevant. For all the court knows, you were talking about the weather.

I have the craigslist add
Not relevant. Only shows that you were trying to sell them.

I have e-mails from other buys offering to buy
Not relevant what OTHERS might have been interested in.... other than to show you MIGHT have sold them elsewhere.

I have the contact of the two other buyers that did purchase the tickets from me
Not relevant since they have nothing to do with this claimed breach.

and I have a witness that was with me waiting for her to arrive.
Is this 'witness' totally independent... not a friend, spouse, buddy, etc.??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">