• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nobsforme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Hello,

Two years ago I entered into a verbal contract with a "friend" (he was at that time) which was:

He would become the owner of my dog, becuase I was going through a divorce and did not have a stable residence at the time, that if he should so choose not to care for the dog any longer or not be willing to transport the dog to the mainland when he moves, he would give the dog back to me.

My husband (boyfriend at the time) was witness to this contract, and the man's wife also knew of the agreement that we had made.

I learned this morning that he is thinking of putting the dog to sleep because the dog is getting "old". He has some issues with his hips which can be controlled with supplements. The man states that he does not want to "stress the dog out" by moving him and that it would be better for the animal to be put down. I have not contacted the vet about this yet, as it is Sunday and they are currently closed.

I want to know if I can legally sue him for possession of the dog, based on the fact that he no longer cares to provide adequet long term care for the animal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">