• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal dog care agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kikid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I made a verbal agreement to watch a friend's dog for free for one month. A friend was there when the dog was dropped off and can attest that it was only supposed to be a month and that the owner would provide food, and visit the dog weekly.

One month turned into 4, but after the third month I talked to the person and told them they need to pay me. I wanted $450.00 which was still very cheap. The owner said they'd pay, but unless I could watch the dog another month he'd have to take him to the pound. So I agreed, but told him the price would go up. I have at least one text message where he agrees to pay me the $450.00 for 3 months.

Now it's the end of month four and the owner is saying he never agreed to pay and this was all a favor I was doing and he's have the cops come to my house if I don't give him his dog. I bought the dog food the last 3 times and his owner has been around maybe only once to see him. Is this considered abandonment yet?

I called the police and they say it's a civil court matter. If it does go to court, would I stand a chance getting any money from him? I told him that after 4 months he owes my $600.00 but we don't have a written agreement or anything.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I made a verbal agreement to watch a friend's dog for free for one month. A friend was there when the dog was dropped off and can attest that it was only supposed to be a month and that the owner would provide food, and visit the dog weekly.

One month turned into 4, but after the third month I talked to the person and told them they need to pay me. I wanted $450.00 which was still very cheap. The owner said they'd pay, but unless I could watch the dog another month he'd have to take him to the pound. So I agreed, but told him the price would go up. I have at least one text message where he agrees to pay me the $450.00 for 3 months.

Now it's the end of month four and the owner is saying he never agreed to pay and this was all a favor I was doing and he's have the cops come to my house if I don't give him his dog. I bought the dog food the last 3 times and his owner has been around maybe only once to see him. Is this considered abandonment yet?

I called the police and they say it's a civil court matter. If it does go to court, would I stand a chance getting any money from him? I told him that after 4 months he owes my $600.00 but we don't have a written agreement or anything.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why didn't you get it in writing? Do you still have the dog?

kikid

I was stupid and trusted this person would not back-stab me. I do have some text messages where he agrees to pay. I do still have the dog.

kikid

I'm not holding him hostage. I'm taking good care of him. His owner has threatened to take him to the pound if he took him back sooner. How can you suggest I'm holding him hostage. He was dropped off by the owner 4 months ago for a one month stay. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like abandonment to me. I'm the one telling him he needs to take responsibility for his dog and pick him up and compensate me like we agreed. I've been the one buying his food, feeding him, taking him on walks and loving him. His owner came by twice since Christmas.

Just Blue

I'm not holding him hostage. I'm taking good care of him. His owner has threatened to take him to the pound if he took him back sooner. How can you suggest I'm holding him hostage. He was dropped off by the owner 4 months ago for a one month stay. I'm not a lawyer, but that sounds like abandonment to me. I'm the one telling him he needs to take responsibility for his dog and pick him up and compensate me like we agreed. I've been the one buying his food, feeding him, taking him on walks and loving him. His owner came by twice since Christmas.
If you don't want to keep the dog you should give him to the owner. Then sue for "damages".
If you wish to keep the animal you will need to prove abandonment.

kikid

But the owner *agreed* to pay me also. And I have a saved text message. I'll give him his dog if he does what he agreed to do. If he gets his dog back without paying, would I have any kind of case, like small claims wise, or any chance of winning??

Just Blue

But the owner *agreed* to pay me also. And I have a saved text message. I'll give him his dog if he does what he agreed to do. If he gets his dog back without paying, would I have any kind of case, like small claims wise, or any chance of winning??
The owner does not give a crap about the animal. Understand that.

What do you wish to happen to the dog?

kikid

It's a tough call. I want to be compensated for my time and effort, but at the same time, he is not a good pet owner and I'd rather give the dog to a rescue since he is a purebred. I'm afraid the owner will take him back just so he doesn't have to pay me and drop him off at a local pound. He's pity threatened that before. Plus, he's making no immediate effort to get the dog back. Even in this fight he want me to keep watching the dog till April 1st. I said no way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The strength of your case for compensation is not affected by who is in possession of the animal.

The strength of the case AGAINST you (conversion, both civil & criminal) is made MUCH stronger against you if you refuse to return the animal.

kikid

The owner has not tried to pick the dog up at all yet. He has no place to keep him for the month of March, so I don't know what he's going to do even if he does come to get him. If he comes, I'll give him the dog, but I will also take him to civil court to get at least my $450.00. If you're saying I'm "holding the dog hostage," what would you call what the actual owner is doing. Oh, right, taking advantage of me. That's really great too. And he'll probably just take the dog to the pound. All to keep from giving me what I've worked for.

The owner has not tried to pick the dog up at all yet. He has no place to keep him for the month of March, so I don't know what he's going to do even if he does come to get him. If he comes, I'll give him the dog, but I will also take him to civil court to get at least my $450.00. If you're saying I'm "holding the dog hostage," what would you call what the actual owner is doing. Oh, right, taking advantage of me. That's really great too. And he'll probably just take the dog to the pound. All to keep from giving me what I've worked for.
I may be out of line here, but it sounds as though you do honestly care for the dog. Would you be willing to offer to KEEP the dog in lieu of payment for your services?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">