• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet Bill - My dog was attacked by another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkidd42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Racine, Wisconsin

My dog was being watched by my parents at their property. Their pastor decided to come for a visit and brought his son-in-law and his dog. His dog ran around the property unleashed and my dog was in the driveway on a leash in front of my parents, my 7 year old son, and the pastor. The son-in-law's dog came around the house, on to the driveway and attacked my mini dachshund before anyone knew what was happening. The son-in-law was still around the back of the house when this happened. The son-in-law's dog is a standard sized hunting dog of some sort. I ended up w/ a $2800 vet bill, and the son-in-law expects me to settle for less than the full $2800.

I have left out a lot of details, but can I sue for the full $2800? What are my chances? Should I try to find an attorney? I am finding that most attorney's just deal with dogs attacking humans, and not other dogs. This son-in-law lives in OH (I have his address). How do I go about taking him to court? Is there a guide or how do I get started. I am willing to put all the time into this that needs to be spent.

Thanks for any help you can give me! It is greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swrdmbo

Most dog on dog damages are decided by the city or municipality in which the attack occurred.

If there are leash laws for the community that will definitely help your case.You have several witnesses, your dog was leashed ( therefore under control), and his dog was not.

The fact that they was invited guests muddies the water just a little, but it still does not

relieve him from the responsibility of exercising full control over his dog at all times.

I think you have a very solid case.But be sure to look up Racine's dog policies.

Best of luck to you and your dog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">