• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blondiekat91

I live in Arizona, recently I gave my dog to my friend because I didn't have enough time to care for the dog. My friend had her for about a week and she let her boyfriends brother walk the dog without a harness on and he lost her. My friend and I both mutually decided that I would keep the dog if we found her. She was lost for a week and when I got her back, she had numerous health issues that are costing us a fortune. Is my friend or the brother legally obligated to pay for any vet bills?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Arizona, recently I gave my dog to my friend because I didn't have enough time to care for the dog. My friend had her for about a week and she let her boyfriends brother walk the dog without a harness on and he lost her. My friend and I both mutually decided that I would keep the dog if we found her. She was lost for a week and when I got her back, she had numerous health issues that are costing us a fortune. Is my friend or the brother legally obligated to pay for any vet bills?
It's your dog.

sandyclaus

It's YOUR dog. You took on the obligation for paying for it's care along with the time involved in caring for the dog. You pretty much acknowledge that the dog was only being cared for temporarily by re-claiming the dog after it became lost.

Exactly what health issues are you trying to say should be paid for by your friend and her boyfriend?

OHRoadwarrior

My friend and I both mutually decided that I would keep the dog if we found her
You gave it away. You were given it back. Did it come back with a written warranty? I didn't think so. You are solely responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">