• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vet bills - who is responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

My Mother-In-Law (MIL) left her husband and moved in with us bringing her 3 cats with her. She went back to her husband and left her cats with us after 4 days. We told her time and time again (multiple times on multiple times) that she needed to get her cats back from us because her cats were attacking ours. She refused to do so because her husband didn't want that pets back. We tried to keep our cats separated as best as we could, but the attacks continued. One of our cats ended up at the vet and has a $2400 vet bill. My FIL (ex husband of the MIL) witnessed the attacks and will state he saw them occurring and how our cat tried to hide under his bed but the other cat always went after her, even there. Who is responsible for the vet bill?

We have asked her to pay the bills and she refuses to do so. I have told her that I will provide receipts and such.

There is no leash law for cats in our area.

swalsh411

You are for allowing a known dangerous animal in your home.

Also, $2,400 for a cat? That's crazy. It's a cat.

Antigone*

My Mother-In-Law (MIL) left her husband and moved in with us bringing her 3 cats with her. She went back to her husband and left her cats with us after 4 days. We told her time and time again (multiple times on multiple times) that she needed to get her cats back from us because her cats were attacking ours. She refused to do so because her husband didn't want that pets back. We tried to keep our cats separated as best as we could, but the attacks continued. One of our cats ended up at the vet and has a $2400 vet bill. My FIL (ex husband of the MIL) witnessed the attacks and will state he saw them occurring and how our cat tried to hide under his bed but the other cat always went after her, even there. Who is responsible for the vet bill?

We have asked her to pay the bills and she refuses to do so. I have told her that I will provide receipts and such.

Sue your mother-in-law as it was her pet that attacked yours. Please be mindful that you will probably never see any of that money.

OHRoadwarrior

Sue your mother-in-law as it was her pet that attacked yours. Please be mindful that you will probably never see any of that money.
OP is entitled to the value of one damaged cat, less age depreciation. Why they want to sue someone else for an issue that is obviously their own fault, I have no idea. I have heard of people who allow their children to run the home. I have never heard of a someone who allowed someone elses cat to do it.

Antigone*

OP is entitled to the value of one damaged cat, less age depreciation. Why they want to sue someone else for an issue that is obviously their own fault, I have no idea. I have heard of people who allow their children to run the home. I have never heard of a someone who allowed someone elses cat to do it.
You are right, OH. ;)

tranquility

IF the MIL were responsible (Probably through negligence theory.), the OP's damages would include the vet's bills. (That's why they say if you're going to run over someone's pet, make sure you kill it. Then, damages is the value of the animal.)

However, I don't see what the MIL did wrong to give rise to liability. An owner is not strictly liable for a pet absent the pet being considered a dangerous animal. (As in being designated it by statute, court or is something like a lion, tiger or bear--oh my!)

flyboynm

I just want to get the vet bill covered. Time and time again we told her that we needed her pets out but she said "it is too hot out to take her cat home". We took precautions in the attempt to stop this issue once it was noticed - moved our cat's food and water into another room, shelter in which our cat to hide, etc.

The issue comes down to this - is she responsible for her pet's actions or not?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just want to get the vet bill covered. Time and time again we told her that we needed her pets out but she said "it is too hot out to take her cat home". We took precautions in the attempt to stop this issue once it was noticed - moved our cat's food and water into another room, shelter in which our cat to hide, etc.

Asked and answered. No.

tranquility

Absent a pet being a dangerous animal, no. (Dangerous animal according to a judgment by a court, by statute, or an inherently dangerous or wild animal--I gave some examples.) However, she is responsible for HER actions. Did she do anything to cause the damage?

OHRoadwarrior

No. They were left in your care, custody and control. Which you failed to handle miserably. It is your liability.

swalsh411

This is one of these "you tried to be a good guy and got screwed" situations. You are responsible for the vet bills.

I might suggest you go to the local "rent a pair" and get what you need to deal with your MIL.

latigo

$2400 to repair a cat?!

Neither T. S. Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber nor a Pharaoh would be that foolish.

Also, before you give serious thought to taking mother and mother-in-law to court to resolve your cat fight do some reading on "ASSUMPTION OF RISK" and DUTY/OBLIGATION TO MITIGATE DAMAGES"!

That is, if you can conjure up some theory of liability - tort or contract, yet to be revealed to the world of American Jurisprudence - that will get you past a motion to dismiss.

OHRoadwarrior

Ahhhh, but what if it was a cat that laid golden turds. Well, I guess if it was , the vet bill would not matter.

$2400 to repair a cat?!

Neither T. S. Eliot, Andrew Lloyd Webber nor a Pharaoh would be that foolish.

Also, before you give serious thought to taking mother and mother-in-law to court to resolve your cat fight do some reading on "ASSUMPTION OF RISK" and DUTY/OBLIGATION TO MITIGATE DAMAGES"!

That is, if you can conjure up some theory of liability - tort or contract, yet to be revealed to the world of American Jurisprudence - that will get you past a motion to dismiss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">