• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veterinarian Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAYEMULE

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a situation concerning what I believe to be malpractice on the part of a veterinarian. This particular service I have used for over 10 years.
He came out to give yearly vaccinations to my equines. One developed a very bad absess where he gave 2 vaccinations in the same site on her neck ( this should not be done) . I called the same vet back out several times concerning this and he did nothing to relieve the abcess. The condition of the equine was very poor, high fever, loss of appetite and just a very depressed condition. The entire side of her neck was swollen and full of gas and infection. After having the vet out twice to take care of it and him never examining the absess I called him one more time to come out and drain the absess he created and he did not want to come back out and give treatment. He said he just wanted to wait and see what happened. The mare was in such poor condition I explained to him she really needed attention but he chose to not come out. So I called another vet service out and they immediately began draining the absess. The equine has been sick since March 25 of this year and had to be sent to a large Equine Clinic at Ohio State unniversity. The expenses for treating the absess the first vet created has reached $3000.00 . I have tried to get some compensation from the 'offending' vet service but they are not responding to letters. I sent a detailed accounting of the treatment along with pictures. I was not then asking for total repayment but thought since I was such a long time good client they would surely refund a partial amount of the expenses I have accumulated. I waited for a month after the first letter and again wrote them with an updated accounting of what this has cost me, not including the time off work I had to take or the trauma the equine has had to endure. I have just recently contacted the BBB in our area to see if they may be able to give some assistance in settling this matter. I do not expect them to reply via the BB either. I believe they think I will just go away with my complaint.
I feel that my next step will be to take the 'offending' vet and the service he works for to small claims court and there I will ask for the maximum allowed in our small claims.
I have all the bills, pictures and phone bills I have kept in a file along with details of treatments from the new vet. Would there be anything else I may want before going to court ? Does this sound like a plausable case to be taken to court ? Thanks in advance for the advise.

Jaye

JAYEMULE

Any suggestions or advice ? Or maybe no one knows ? I have never sued anyone before so I just thought I would ask. Thanks

Jaye

JAYEMULE

Thank you Badapple. That was a piece of information I needed. I do have a vet to be a witness for sure.
Thanks again for the assistance.

Jaye

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">