• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veterinary Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Klinnea

What is the name of your state? Colorado

A few months ago, I took my dog to get neutered. A couple hours later, I noticed some swelling, took him to the emergency clinic, and it turned out that a suture came loose and he was hemoraging. $2100 he's ok. I was assured by the front office at the vet's office that I would be reimbursed. Its now two months later, and they're trying to blow me off (first trying to blame it on the suture company, then refusing to return my calls).

I'm sure I can recover the 2100 in small claims court. Can I also sue for things like the $30 overlimit charge on my credit card, or credit card interest incurred? Can I sue for punative damages in small claims?

BelizeBreeze

Klinnea said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

A few months ago, I took my dog to get neutered. A couple hours later, I noticed some swelling, took him to the emergency clinic, and it turned out that a suture came loose and he was hemoraging. $2100 he's ok. I was assured by the front office at the vet's office that I would be reimbursed. Its now two months later, and they're trying to blow me off (first trying to blame it on the suture company, then refusing to return my calls).

I'm sure I can recover the 2100 in small claims court. Can I also sue for things like the $30 overlimit charge on my credit card, or credit card interest incurred? Can I sue for punative damages in small claims?
You can only recover monitary awards that you actually suffered unless you can show negligence on the part of the vet. That does not appear in your post.

BelizeBreeze

Klinnea said:
So would not properly sutering an artery, causing an animal to hemmorage, count as negligence?
That would depend entirely on a review of all the facts.

This forum can't give you a definitive answer on that without reading the medical file, interviewing all parties and consulting with another vet...which is what I woudl advise you.

Klinnea

Ok, there's a happy ending here! I had called the vet last friday, and told them that they had until wednesday to pay me back. They never called me back, so I was planning on filing for small claims court today. On a whim, I decided to call the Troubleshooter Tom ******o Radio show, and they called the vet, and I got reimbursed without having to go to court! They managed to accomplish in one call what I haven't been able to do in two months. Yay!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">