• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DonDDR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

Former tenants are taking me to small claims court because I didn't return their full deposit due to damage. When we did the initial walk thru, one of them video taped most of the walk. I am certain they are going to bring the video to court as evidence. Can I ask for a continuance to review the video if they do bring it into evidence?

Thanks.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oregon

Former tenants are taking me to small claims court because I didn't return their full deposit due to damage. When we did the initial walk thru, one of them video taped most of the walk. I am certain they are going to bring the video to court as evidence. Can I ask for a continuance to review the video if they do bring it into evidence?

Thanks.
If you need time to review the evidence, most small claims judges will give you an opportunity to exchange evidence between the parties (as an informal discovery process) so that you can review it prior to the actual hearing. Most often, they do that also in order to give you a chance to try to work out the issues among the parties before actually going before the judge and having them decide the case for you. The judge ISN'T going to give you a continuance and delay the case just so that you can watch the video first, but they might give you more time to look it over and call other cases ahead of you to do so.

But honestly, if you were there, then you already know what is on the video. Why do you need to review it first?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">