• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Village building codes and unlawful removal of personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatcanidoo

Hello. I live in New York state and had trouble with a local building code enforcement officer. He ended up having some trash removed from my rental property, however, in the process he told a disposal company to remove personal items as well as tear apart a small porch that was not connected to a structure. The items were not rotting or considered junk. I hired an attorney to seek a monetary judgement against the disposal company who took my personal items. We had pictures of all the items as well as pictures of the people involved in removing such items. My attorney was sure I would win. Well, I did not. The attorney stated that they were not allowed to take my personal items that were not junk or debri, especially the porch that I was going to use and place under sliding glass doors. The decision I received did not come with a rational/explanation for the decision. Is the judge required to give me one? Also, it appeared that he judge knew the building code inspector and seemed a bit too friendly with him. I don't know if my case was unfairly judged because I didn't receive a basis for the decision. Any advice or suggestions from anyone out there? I called my lawyers office and her secretary said she will send me a letter. hmmm. lol

quincy

Hello. I live in New York state and had trouble with a local building code enforcement officer. He ended up having some trash removed from my rental property, however, in the process he told a disposal company to remove personal items as well as tear apart a small porch that was not connected to a structure. The items were not rotting or considered junk. I hired an attorney to seek a monetary judgement against the disposal company who took my personal items. We had pictures of all the items as well as pictures of the people involved in removing such items. My attorney was sure I would win. Well, I did not. The attorney stated that they were not allowed to take my personal items that were not junk or debri, especially the porch that I was going to use and place under sliding glass doors. The decision I received did not come with a rational/explanation for the decision. Is the judge required to give me one? Also, it appeared that he judge knew the building code inspector and seemed a bit too friendly with him. I don't know if my case was unfairly judged because I didn't receive a basis for the decision. Any advice or suggestions from anyone out there? I called my lawyers office and her secretary said she will send me a letter. hmmm. lol
You could always wait for the letter from your lawyer's office. Your lawyer is the best person to find out why the judge decided as he did. What were the code violations cited that allowed for debris removal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">