• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are voice "taped" recordings allowed in Small Claims Court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goincrayzee

What is the name of your state? Fl

Are recorded statements allowed in small claims court?
I recorded someone on speaker phone (telephone), on cassette. Will it be allowed in court when it comes to an argument about a verbal/written agreement. NO I did not tell her she was being recorded.. it was speaker phone and my cassette recorder happened to be on the "record" button... OOOPS.

(I tried to keep it brief JETX... Do you think I deserve a response this time?)

;)

Thanks, in advance

Last edited:

BL

Generally small Claims Judges don't want to hear the recordings . If you can bring it you could hold it up and give your testimony about it's contents , if the Judge allows .

Most times they will ask if you have the proof you are referring to in front of ( with ) you .

They generally are only interested in testimony , but you must have some proof with you .

Crispix

I've seen a small claims case case where one of the parties brought "the tape" and also a written transcript. The judge read/skimmed the transcript rather than taking the time to listen to a tape.

S

seniorjudge

goincrayzee said:
What is the name of your state? Fl

Are recorded statements allowed in small claims court?
I recorded someone on speaker phone (telephone), on cassette. Will it be allowed in court when it comes to an argument about a verbal/written agreement. NO I did not tell her she was being recorded.. it was speaker phone and my cassette recorder happened to be on the "record" button... OOOPS.

(I tried to keep it brief JETX... Do you think I deserve a response this time?)

;)

Thanks, in advance
Most small claims statutes allow just about any kind of legal evidence in. If one sided recordings are allowed in your state, it MAY be allowed in evidence. If one sided recordings are not allowed in your state, you MAY find yourself being investigated for committing a crime.

Believe me, small claims judges are not impressed by telephone messages of any kind.

If you don't have some real evidence, don't go into court.

If that judge has been hearing small claims cases for more than a week, he's seen every trick there is and is not impressed by any of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">