• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to file a claim against ISP for over-charging on installation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cobos87

Portland, Oregon

I recently relocated and signed up for Internet access with Frontier Communications. They made numerous mistakes on my order and in hindsight, I should have just gone with a different ISP. However, in my first discussion with the salesman, I negotiated service for $34.99 / month with a $9.99 install. I saved the entire chat transcript verbatim including the name and e-mail address of the salesman that I spoke with. After receiving my first bill, they charged me $39.99 / month and $150 for the install. I contacted them, a customer service agent looked at my order and said that she would correct it and credit me the difference on my next bill. My next bill showed no credit. I went through about 3 other representatives and they asked me to fax in the chat transcript to a fax number where someone would review it. I did that and have not heard anything. So basically, they won't give me an answer or claim that they are not authorized to make the change. I'm thinking that the best action is to simply take them to small claims court. The only weakness in my case is when they asked for my social security number, I said that I don't have one which is not true. I do. I simply did not want to tell them my social security number and I figured I'd get less resistance by telling them that I don't have one rather than I won't tell them it. In hindsight, I should have just told them that I won't tell them my SSN or even better, just use a different ISP. My question is, does that invalidate my case? Second, if I file the claim and it's rejected, can they counter-sue me for wasting their time? Has anyone successfully won cases against ISPs for not delivering the promised rate / installation cost? Anything else I should know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">