• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to settle before Court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whitcombsc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hi, without going into to much detail, I'm being sued for one months rent, and I just want to settle the case before it goes to court, I don't want to argue my case I don't need to present my side, I just want to pay the plaintiff. what actions do I need to take to settle the case, I have the plaintiffs lawyers number, do I just contact the lawyer, do I need to file anything with the court?

JETX

what actions do I need to take to settle the case, I have the plaintiffs lawyers number, do I just contact the lawyer, do I need to file anything with the court?
Presumably, since you ask about contacting 'the lawyer', the plaintiff has an attorney. If so, contact the attorney and negotiate a settlement. Since you have gotten to this point, it is likely that any negotiation would include court fees, attorney fees, plus the claimed unpaid rent.
If you are able to negotiate a settlement, have the attorney draw up a 'Motion to Dismiss with Prejudice' and file it with the court. Make sure that you get a copy of the motion... and verify the dismissal with the court BEFORE the scheduled court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">