• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to sue but don't know defendants address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? fl

... which I'm assuming I need no? if so and I cannot locate such person, can I still take them to court?

FlyingRon

In order to take the to small claims court you need to serve the either by personal service by the police or disinterested adult or by certitfied/return receipt mail. All of these are going to be impossible if you don't know where he either is physically or where he resides.

juntjoo

okay, so u just need an address to send the notice to the defendant? I know where his legal address will be til the end of the month, so I guess I will have to get it sent to him by then then.

but what happens if he doesn't respond? do I win automatically? and if so, and this guy doesnt pay, under what circumstances can I have his wages garnished or collect his vehicle, or a portion of it? because I would be able to tell you now that he won't voluntarily pay. thanks!

Antigone*

okay, so u just need an address to send the notice to the defendant? I know where his legal address will be til the end of the month, so I guess I will have to get it sent to him by then then.

but what happens if he doesn't respond? do I win automatically? and if so, and this guy doesnt pay, under what circumstances can I have his wages garnished or collect his vehicle, or a portion of it? because I would be able to tell you now that he won't voluntarily pay. thanks!
The defendent has to be properly served. Proper service entails more than just sending a notice to the defendent's last known address.

Worry about collecting after you win. You live in Florida which is a very debtor friendly state so this won't be easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">