• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

6cats

I was asked to design a website. I met with the client (1 hour), took photos and send 2 preliminary drafts of designs. He paid me $50. Two weeks after our meeting, my daughter ended up in the hospital for 2 months and I dropped everything I was working on and took care of her. After she was discharged from the hospital, I was at home and got a letter from him stating that he had spoken with the state's attorney and I had to pay him the $50 plus $40 for "damages/income lost". I had a lot to catch up on so I just sent the $90. This was early this year. Yesterday I got a warrant to collect a debt from him for $90 and court costs. Looking over my records, he has never tendered the check I sent months ago. What should I do? We had no formal contract.

justalayman

I have no idea what your contract called for. Is there some reason he would be owed the $40? Is there really any reason he would be due the $50?

Unless he can justify the $90 or you simply want it to go away, I would tell him to take a hike. If you think he is due the $90 and you can prove you sent it to him, then show him that and tell him you will give him the $90 and he eats the costs.

If he wants to go all the way to court, I would fight him tooth and nail and make him prove his case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">