• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant in debt - dental bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bushes

:eek::eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ?
Virginia

I went to a dentist 2 years ago for a cleaning only. They tried to set up a deep cleaning ($1500) but I declined. They said x-rays were required before I could have the cleaning done, so we had them done and then the cleaning. When the dentist said she was done, I looked at my teeth and noticed that the top 2 front teeth were not cleaned. She gave me an appointment to return. I went back for the second appointment and was advised that I needed some fill-in work done. It was done, but the final cleaning was not. I asked about that and the dentist said they couldn't be cleaned because my insurance benefit for cleaning had been maxed out.

I was angry and never returned. Still have the stains on top 2 teeth and received a warrant in debt for $711. $400 of it is the dental bill the rest is interest, court cost and attorney fees. I never even received a bill from them. The place I lived in during this time was always broken into without forced entry (the FBI even came to my house and questioned me about my computer because someone was using it while I was at work). I moved and never got a bill. I contacted the attorney listed on the summons and they said they would seek a judgement against me if I didn't pay it in full before court. They would not withdraw the case from the court docket unless I paid. I have paid a total of $300.00 to date but can't pay the rest right now - I've got 3 kids starting school in 3 weeks and I'm a single parent.

The funny thing is that I am a victim of identity theft because of this address, and so I check my credit report diligently. It was not on there. If it had been listed on there I would've known about it and paid it.

Is there any way that I can ask for a continuance BEFORE a judgement is entered and my wages are garnished? I just need a little more time. the court date is August 18. i cannot afford to make any payments until mid-september. I owe $211. of the principal and $411 in total.

Any advice or help would be great.

cosine

Tell the attorney you are looking into counter suing the dentist for his bait-and-switch tactics (what you describe he did is in fact bait-and-switch ... I had a very similar thing happen by a doctor ... we settled out of court for a non-disclosed sum).

DDDDDD

Why did your dentist perform work beyond the provisions of the dental benifit? Did you give permission or agree that you would cover the outstanding balance? I would appear at the hearing and argue the dentist performed excessive unauthorized work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">