• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage from neighbors town home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t-rev

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I own a town home (I rent it out) in Minnesota that is surrounded on 3 sides. In July my tenant called me to say that the floors on the first level were soaked with water. I had her rent some high powered fans to dry out what she could and called a service company that specializes in water damage. They were able to determine that the water damage came from our neighbors unit. This was confirmed a few days later when my tenant spoke with her and she mentioned her water heater had a leak.

The service company charged $607 for cleanup. My insurance deductible is $500 so it is not worth having a water damage claim on the unit. My neighbors insurance company recently sent me a letter saying it was not their insured clients fault and that the leak was from a faulty valve on the water heater.

I don't feel I should be responsible for the bill for this. I have paid it but want to hold either the neighbor or the valve mfg or possibly the builder (apparently the adjuster said the slope of the floor in the closet where the water heater is does not slope into the drain, rather slopes towards my unit). I am waiting for confirmation from the neighbor to see if she kept the faulty valve.

What are my options and what are my best chances of getting this resolved?

Thank you very much for your responses!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">